2450 Modular Performance DC Drive
The 2450 is an all-digital pulse-width-modulated (PWM) DC drive. Its revolutionary technology and modular design make it the optimum drive where superior performance, flexibility, and ease of operation are desired.
A unique design incorporating a proprietary digital current regulator and a state-of-the-art controller allows the 2450 to operate any DC motor without the current-loop setup required by conventional drives.
The 2450 can be configured for torque-, velocity-, and position-control servo applications. Depending upon application requirements, the controller can be configured to provide the appropriate analog and digital I/O, feedback, and serial communication capabilities. A programming option allows customization for unique applications using IEC 1131 open-standard ladder diagram, function block diagram, sequential function chart, structured text, and/or instruction list languages.
Once routine electrical connections have been made, the simple-to-use auto-tuning features adjust virtually all motor and inertial parameters to the given motor and connected load. Simply enter a few values from the motor nameplate, and the advanced setup routines do the rest. The drive is completely tuned within minutes.
The modular bus design of the 2450 provides space, cost, and energy savings in many applications. The drive family consists of separate rectifier and amplifier units. The rectifier is comprised of a full-wave diode bridge, a bus-charging circuit, a dynamic braking circuit, and a capacitor bank. The amplifier consists of a four IGBT, four-quadrant PWM control that operates from the DC bus of the rectifier to control armature current. A separate IGBT is used to control field current. Highpower amplifiers are comprised of two separate poles.
Multiple amplifier units can be operated from one rectifier unit. This allows applications that naturally share regenerative energy, such as an uncoiler and recoiler, to reuse the energy, rather than dissipate it as heat through resistors. A much smaller rectifier is therefore needed than would be required using two integrated drives. A 2400 series inverter can be used in place of the rectifier to achieve regeneration to the power line. In cyclic applications, an optional capacitor bank can be used to store regenerated energy and to return stored energy to the load.
The 2450 incorporates a link choke to provide near-unity power factor and low harmonic currents at all motor speeds. A 12-pulse rectifier option is available to further eliminate harmonic currents in critical applications. When a regenerative inverter is used in place of the rectifier, a unity power factor is achieved and virtually all harmonic currents are eliminated.
The 2450 can be customized for definite-purpose applications using optional, application-specific software. Software is available for such applications as test stands, elevators, press feeders, winders, rotary cutoffs, spindles, flying cutoffs, cranes, and wire drawing, to name a few. The standard 2450 includes basic operational and auto-setup software.
Optically Isolated Digital I/O
All digital inputs and outputs are optically isolated. As many as 32 individually isolated digital I/O are locally provided, depending upon the controller, each of which can be programmed by the application to be an input or output. The voltage of each can be selected from a wide range of AC/DC values.
The 2450 can operate with or without a feedback transducer. Typically, an incremental encoder is used for feedback, although multiturn absolute encoders and single-turn resolvers are also supported. For less demanding velocity-loop applications, the drive offers a transducerless mode of operation.
- All-digital control for zero drift and repeatable motor operation
- 24-bit DSP computational power for fast, dynamic response
- High-switching-frequency IGBT devices for quiet operation
- Digital current-loop regulator for fast response
- Servo loop operation for precise velocity, position, or torque control
- Full torque from zero to rated speed
- Field weakening at constant horsepower up to four times base speed
Ease of Installation, Setup, and Maintenance
- Complete, self-contained package requires few option boards
- Identical control boards across full power range reduces spare parts
- Snap-in signal connections for ease of wiring
- Automated setup feature requires no chart recorders or meters
- Software calibration and adjustment eliminates tuning components
- Software input and output scaling eliminates potentiometers
- Automated hardware configuration check
Ease of Use
- Full keypad for easy entry of application-specific setup adjustments
- Two line by 24-character-per-line descriptive, plain-English display
- Process variable display in bar graph and engineering units
- Comprehensive plain-language, self-diagnostic message display
- Real-time motion information and historical fault log
- RS-232/422/485 for communication with process controllers
- Optional software for managing the drive from a personal or handheld computer
- Tolerant of AC line fluctuations
- Extensive electronic protection circuits reduce failures
- Optically isolated signals for high noise immunity
- S-curve acceleration reduces shock and extends equipment life
- Fiber-optics for noise-free serial communication
- Designed to meet or exceed accepted international standard